Saturday, November 22, 2008

Surgery Was A No Go

All the time and effort so many put into yesterday and then Izabel was declared unfit for surgery.

We were up very early yesterday morning begining the countdown to surgery and preparing accordingly. We did everything we were suppose to and arrived at the hospital on time.

Izabel was immediately taken back and the initial check in process began. Vitals were taken, temperature, weight and a good listen to her chest. Everything was good. The girls were treated like royalty with My Little Ponies, toys and stickers.

We met with each medical professional who was going to be a part of the surgical team in the operating room. So far, everything looked like it was going to go fine.

Then the anesthesiologist came in and began his workup and explanation of what was going to happen. We were very up front (with everyone) about Izabel's current cough that wasn't going away. Even the Pedi wrote up the action plan on her approval for surgery.

The anesthesiologist came in, did his workup, asked questions and then declared Izabel unfit for surgery.

Why you ask? Well, it turns out that even though this surgery is standard and the sedation is the same old same old, Izabel would have to be intabated. A breathing tube was standard practice. Daddy and I were NOT aware of this. We had no idea that Izabel would have this done for a simple dental procedure.

So, because Izabel is having bronchial spasms, which could or could not be related to Asthma, they would not endanger her with a breathing tube. If the breathing tube got anywhere near her bronchial tubes or lungs it would absolutely trigger a spell and cause Izabel to be in danger.

Danger as in being put on a breathing machine in the ICU until she fully recovered.

Daddy and I very thankful that the anesthesiologist knew his stuff, but we were slightly disappointed that we are now on another waiting list that could push the surgery out at least a month. We were more than disappointed that we were left in the dark about the breathing tube until we talked to the anesthesiologist and he became aware and asked about her cough.

So that's it. No surgery, Yet. We want to thank all of you who called and sent email/comment well wishes, thoughts and prayers. I'll update about the rescheduled date when we know more.

We took the girls to the mall after we left the hospital and let them run off some energy and then spent the evening with Uncle Doc for his birthday. It turned out to be a nice day with half the stress I awoke with in the morning.


NannyJ said...

Thank goodness that anesthesiologist had some brains. xoxo

My Three Sons said...


Did she not get scheduled a Pre Admission Test, (PAT)? If so, she should have seen an anestesiologist then and that would have been his or her job to tell you then. Also to have cancelled the surgery and wouldn't have made you waste a whole day. I'm sorry you didn't know that before hand. Carson is having some minor surgery done this Tuesday with plastics and I was made very aware with the plastic surgeon back in Aug that he would be getting the tube.

Since Carson never has a break from his asthma they are going to go ahead with his scheduled surgery. We have a 10-20% chance that he will end up in ICU but I'm going to stay positive since he did rather well a few weeks ago from his surgery.

Well on a good note, the babies look so cute in the pictures. Hopefuly this gives her a chance to get rid of her cough all together.

I'll say a prayer for her to get better soon.

Dawn said...

Bummer! Somehow I missed the post where you told why she is having dental surgery at such a young age. Kinda scary, eh??

You have certainly had your share of junk lately!

I trust you'll have a wonderful Thanksgiving week.

mommy to Kaden, Brody and angel Ava said...

I am glad that things turned out the way they did. How scary it must have been to you to hear that she would be intubated during the surgery at this point.

So is it a true surgery or do I remember reading awhile back that she was needing her teeth cleaned or cavities filled, something like that??? I hope it isn't a big procedure, whatever it is.

Bren said...

Wow, you really have been through it lately. Glad the doc knew his stuff!

Stephanie, Phil, Kayla, Logan & Alex said...

I'm glad the anesthesiologist knew his stuff. Hope your little one starts feeling better really soon.

storyteller said...

I’m continuing to pray for all of you. Thanks for keeping us informed.
Hugs and blessings,

tommie said...

Thank goodness you had someone who knew what he was doing!

Rachel Dominguez said...

THank Goodness someone is asking questions! I would never have put my child under without checking!! Good Job Mama!


Michelle said...

how frustrating to go through all that prep before someone realized surgery wasn't going to happen! You did get some cute pictures out of all that waiting around though :)