Thursday, July 9, 2009

I ♥ Tucker

Updated as of 5:00pm CST, 07/09/2009

Hello Tucker fans, I've just spoken with Karen and am some lovely medical jargon for you. I'll try to be specific and put things in order.

All of this trouble that Tucker is experiencing started two days ago. Dr. Del Nido did an ECHO and said things were looking great and that taking Tucker off of the vent was going to be soon. Things were looking good! *Tucker's heart is doing great and in awesome condition after surgery.

Later that day/evening, too much fluid was being taken on and not enough of it was coming off. Tucker's lungs were filling up with this extra fluid, causing him to loose his sats and blood pressure go up. Everyone was kind of in a hustle to figure out what was going on and get it under control. They did not paralyze Tucker completely at this point, but did a little bit to help calm his body. Tucker was still not getting better after this point.

During this time, the doctors placed a new central line in his clavical, adjusted his meds, continued the paralytic and switched pain meds. Blood draws were showing too much of one pain med in his system, so that had to concot a new regimen.

Tucker's blood gases were still climbing and his O2 dropping. Tucker stopped peeing and still, less fluids were coming out. This is known as a postive balance. The nurses continued to try different things to rid Tucker's body of the fluids.

Okay, so now I believe, if my timeline is correct, Karen was able to give Tucker a nice bath and get him cozy. They gave Tucker his meds and he went right down. They thought this was a good thing, sleeping so well.

Then Karen woke up to nurses whipsering. Rushing over, she discvered that Tucker's blood pressure had dropped, his sats were 84 and dropping, BUN was high and his liver was distended and shutting down. His lungs looked terrible (very wet) and he was becoming hypertensive. The nurses told Karen that they had to put more paralytics on board and this time really keep Tucker out and unable to move. It took (3) doses to get Tucker to a point where he stopped trying to breathe over the ventilator.

That brings us to today. Mommy and Daddy had a team metting with the doctors this morning and they honestly believe Tucker is stable enough that he is progressing forward again. Tucker was put on a new ventaltor that does all of the work for him and actually agitates the lungs to help rid them of fluid. It shakes the fluid loose. There have been more diuretics added to his regimen too. Tucker has been getting rid of more fluids than are going in, which is fabulous news. This is known as a negative balance. Tucker was also given a steroid to increase his blood pressure a little bit, which will help his heart beat a little higher and get rid of the extra fluid. Chest x-rays from this afternoon look good.

As for some additional info, the new vent that Tucker is on is a step above the one he was on. He will need to be weaned from this vent, moved down to the one he was on, weaned off of that one and then he can be extubated. Doctors believe that this has set Tucker back about 5-7 days, give or take. That is a guess as to how long it will take Tucker to get back to where he was 3 days ago. Once he recovers from this little set back, he will continue to progress forward toward recovery and HOME.

Doctors believe Tucker will be in hospital for several more weeks. No one can say for sure, Tucker works on his own schedule. Tucker has proven to be much stronger than anyone (who doesn't know him) gives him credit for.

Things are facing forward now and each small step is progression. Mommy and Daddy are exhausted but seem to be doing better this evening. Questions have been answered and that's always helpful. Keep this little man in your thoughts and prayers. Every kind thought and prayers of strength bring Tucker and his family closer to home.

With all this text, I think we are due for some photos. I'll bribe his mother. :)

*******Update Above This Original Post*******

As of this morning, Thursday, I haven't had too many updates on Tucker. There is a meeting with the family and his team of doctors this morning that should shed some light on the course of action they are going to be taking.

If you have checked in earlier this week, then you know that Tucker was put back on paralytic meds and the ventilator assistance was increased. All of these steps backwards occurred, we think, because of extra fluid.

Last night was not a good night for Tucker and things actually got worse. X-Rays are still wet and looking worse as of early this morning. Tucker will not saturate and is holding at 86. Tucker has also stopped peeing.

The paralytic meds were brought on heavy this time and are not allowing Tucker to do anything on his own. His blood gases came back bad and his blood count is up to 14 from 10. A high blood count could indicate an infection somewhere, so cultures were taken and they are awaiting results.

Yesterday there was blood when doing suctioning and today they believe there is back up in the lungs. A lung scan is on board now, with hopes of finding more answers.

That is the bare minimum of what I know this morning. Karen and Todd are in a whirlwind of so many emotions. Not only are there so many things to worry about with Tucker, but back here at home they have a daughter who misses her family, a house that needs tending to and bills that need to be paid.

Please, please keep them in your prayers. Send them your love and strength, well wishes, good vibes and heartfelt thoughts.

Smaller updates throughout the day are always posted on Twitter. Following me is the easiest way to receive updates regarding Tucker and his family.


Laura Marchant said...

I am following you on twitter now. Still praying for the little guy.

Unknown said...

This has to be so hard on them all!